Setting Up AAC Systems
Now that a communication system has been selected, it's important to know how the device works in order to prepare it for use by the student and ultimately to use it effectively. Some devices are simple and easy to learn to use. Higher tech devices are more complex and may require training prior to use. In either case, it's important to provide training to anyone who will use or program the device, including the student, family, caregivers, SLP, teachers, therapists, and paraprofessionals. Training materials are often located on the vendor's website or provided in person by the AAC sales representatives. Here are some links to resources for setting up devices. Remember to explore the specific vendors' website for training materials related to the devices used.
- AAC Tech Connect Resources and Training
- ACE Centre (United Kingdom)
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) Resources
- Assistive Technology Industry Association Resources and Webinars
- Closing the Gap Resource Directory and Webinars
- International Society for Augmentative and Alternative Communication